The Tuesday before the storm hit we were being told it would be a Category 5 that would broadside the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Too close to home.
So my husband and I made the decision to evacuate. As he said, “We can’t change what will happen to the house. We can choose to not be in the house when it happens.”
My daughter was off school, and I knew that given the opening of three schools as shelters that the schools wouldn’t reopen that week. So we packed up our stuff, hooked up the camper and drove north. Specifically, up to northern Pennsylvania where his family lives. We took the camper because we evacuated our pets, and no one was able to take us with the two cats.
So we waited, and watched. Thankfully the storm weakened. Thankfully for us the storm turned south. And we decided to return home for the non-event.
We spent four days up there, returning home with a 13 hour journey that avoided the clogged interstates. And even though it turned out to be a non-event for southern Virginia, I’m glad we left.
I’m glad that it turned out to be nothing in my area. My heart breaks for those who are still dealing with the aftermath.
If you have the ability, I urge you to take part in the relief efforts. It’s a big mess, and cleanup will take months.
Photo by NASA Goddard Photo and Video